Disclaimer: The following material is being kept online for archival purposes.
Although accurate at the time of publication, it is no longer being updated. The page may contain broken links or outdated information, and parts may not function in current web browsers.
Bow Shock and Magnetopause Skimming Events
The purpose of this session was to focus on science possible with the
unique Geotail orbit skimming either the Earth's bow shock or
magnetopause. For the magnetopause skimming events, coordination with
Polar and ground-based data was also emphasized.
- Recent studies
- S. Chen - Surface waves on m'pause - Northward and Southward IMF
- B. Tsurutani - Polar Cap Boundary Layer Waves - always present
- J. Berchem - Simulation results of effect on m'pause of solar wind
- K. Ogilve - Wind election observations at stagnation point, point of
supersonic flow, and point of increased instabilities
- R. Kessel - Surface waves on bow shock - multi crossings with
predominantly outward bow shock motion
- T. Sanderson - Wind yearly summary posters with identified events,
e.g., CMEs, IP shocks, current sheets
- P. Kellogg - micro-physics at bow shocks (E Field waves)
- JGR special issue submissions - ~ 6
- Future collaborative studies - GGS events
- Polar with Geotail skimming m'pause, ground signature - J. Pickett,
B. Tsurutani, M. Lester
- Surface Waves (Geotail skimming bow shock) with Modelling - R.
Kessel, J. Berchem
Above is background material for archival reference only.